What you'll Learn
This Level 4 qualification aims to provide professional development opportunities for those practitioners working in the early year’s workforce at Level 3. This qualification will challenge practitioners in both daily practice and theoretical understanding. You will develop and use skills of leadership, mentoring, coaching and reflection as you complete the qualification through work-based learning opportunities. To achieve this qualification you will complete a range of optional units and the following mandatory units:
- Enabling children to learn
- Promoting health and well-being through physical activity and nutrition co-ordination (PANCo) in the early years
- Working with others to support children with additional needs, including Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
- Working with families and other professionals in early years settings
- Implementing change in an early years setting incorporating a small scale research project
This course is suitable for learners aged 18 and over, who are currently employed as an early years Level 3 practitioner. It is for learners who are looking to develop leadership and specialist skills for use in their current role, or in preparation to take on a specialist role such as a Special Educational Needs Coordinator or a Physical Activity and Nutrition Coordinator.
What to expect
The delivery of the qualification will be completed mainly online via the ‘Google Classroom’ virtual learning environment. At level 4, learners should be able to identify and use relevant understanding, methods and skills to address broadly-defined, complex problems. It includes taking responsibility for planning and developing courses of action for yourself and others. You also need to understand different perspectives, approaches or schools of thought and the reasoning behind them. There are no requirements for observation of workplace skills; however, the assessor will visit to obtain evidence of work products to support your written work. You will receive a login to an on-line portfolio account which can be accessed from any Wifi point or through 3/4G either at work, at home or in our centre. You will be provided with a detailed course programme which will help you to achieve your qualification in 6 months. At the centre you will be welcome to access different resources to support your learning including laptops, desktops, tablets and textbooks.
This qualification can provide evidence for a personal statement for those looking to enter Higher Education, for example a Foundation Degree in Early Years. This qualification will enable you to progress in a wide range of work roles including:
- SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) – for staff who are undertaking the responsibility of SENCO in the setting.
- PANCO role (Physical Activity and Nutrition Coordinator).
- Roles with Leadership, mentoring, supervision and management opportunities.