Employ an Apprentice


Fire up your business with an apprentice

Employing an apprentice is easier than you think and there’s financial help and support available from the government.

Hire an apprentice

apprenticeships.gov.uk Fire it Up

Why should Employers get involved?

Employ an Apprentice today! Apprenticeships can help businesses across all sectors by offering a route to harness fresh new employees. Apprenticeships ensure that your workforce has the practical skills and qualifications your organisation needs now and in the future. The mixture of on and off the job learning ensures they learn the skills that work best for your business. Apprenticeships deliver for businesses and help them grow by: Reducing training and recruitment costs, increasing productivity and your bottom line, developing a skilled motivated and qualified workforce, improving customer service results, providing financial return on investment. Apprentices can be new or Existing staff!

Recruitment services are FREE! A Job description will be created for the post and once agreed it will be published on the National Apprenticeship web site for candidates to view and apply: https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch

Applications will be dealt with by the team and forwarded to you for short-listing. Full support and guidance will be available throughout the process. Once an apprentice has been selected we will support you throughout the duration of the programme usually 12 months to 18 months depending on the level of qualification.

By using the free recruitment service you are opting in to using our training services. Charges will apply in all other cases.

I have read & agree to the terms

Register your interest about employing an apprentice at: apprenticeships@achievementtraining.com or 01752 202264.

Please indicate if you are a disability confident employer.


Delivery is mainly workbased, the course tutor will visit the learner every 4 – 6 weeks to observe, plan and assess. The programme is achieved by a mix of teaching and learning including, assignments, practical work assessments, theory based assessments, work based practical learning, professional discussion, question and answer sessions. The learner will receive a login onto an on-line portfolio account.

Friday sessions in the centre are available, please discuss this when you meet the course tutor at enrolment. Don’t delay – Employ an Apprentice today!


Employer Incentives

The government will fund all of the apprenticeship training costs, for employers employing fewer than 50 people, if on the first day of the apprenticeship, the apprentice is:

  • aged between 16 and 18 years old
  • aged between 19 and 24 years old and either has an EHC plan provided by their local authority or has been in the care of their local authority

The employer will receive a payment of £1,000 towards the additional cost associated with training if, at the start of the apprenticeship, the apprentice is either:

  • Aged between 16 and 18 years old (or 15 years of age if the apprentice’s 16th birthday is between the last Friday of June and 31 August)
  • Aged between 19 and 24 years old and has either an EHC plan (Educational Healthcare Plan) provided by their local authority or has been in the care of their local authority.

These payments will be paid as follows: 50% will be paid 90 days after the apprentice starts, the remaining 50% will be paid 365 days after the apprentice starts.

The National Minimum wage for an apprentice is: £3.90 per hour.

National Insurance Contributions are not required by employers with apprentices under the age of 25 earning less than £827 a week.

Contract of services – Employer agreement

  • Employ and pay the Apprentice in accordance with agreed employment terms and conditions and taking into account relevant legislation.
  • Provide the Apprentice with an Apprenticeship contract and contract of employment within 13 weeks of their start date.
  • Confirm that the Apprentice is employed for a minimum of 30 hours per week.
  • Confirm that the intention at the start of the Apprenticeship is that there is available time for the apprentice to have time off to study within the working day, in order to complete the apprenticeship.*
  • To provide appropriate supervision to support, encourage and monitor the Apprentice in the workplace including provision of a nominated mentor and deputy to ensure continuity of supervision.
  • Confirm that the Apprentice’s job: “allows the Apprentice to gain the wider employment experience required by the apprenticeship standard and that they are able to complete all elements of the apprenticeship within their contracted working hours”.

Please note* All apprentices are required to have 20% off the job training over the course of the Apprenticeship – Please see the 20 percent training guidance.

Apprenticeship Training Available


Levy & Non-Levy

From May 2017 new apprenticeship reforms have been in place, employers now fall into two categories.

  1. Employers with an annual pay-bill of OVER £3 MILLION = LEVY PAYING. You will use the Digital Apprenticeship service – HMRC will have informed you about the reforms is you are in the levy bracket. If you are a levy payer, please use this tool to work out how much money will be in your Levy pot estimate-my-apprenticeship-funding.esfa.bis.gov.uk
  2. Employers with a pay-bill of UNDER £3 MILLION = NON-LEVY PAYING. You will be required to co invest. The ESFA will contribute 95% of total training costs, the employer will pay the remaining 5%

The qualifications are  changing, from the current system of Frameworks, to the new system Standards, which have been developed by the corresponding industry for each sector.

Instructions for Levy Employers: As a Levy employer you will need to register to manage you Apprenticeship funds www.gov.uk/guidance/manage-apprenticeship-funds using the Digital Apprenticeship Service (DAS). Add the PAYE schemes that the apprentices will be paid through.

Please enter the Apprentices’ details and select Achievement Training as the training provider using our “UK Provider reference number 10000099“. Finish by clicking the ‘save and continue’ followed by ‘approve and send to training provider’. Once the apprentice is registered, Achievement Training will receive an automatic prompt from your digital account. If you would like to discuss further, please contact Tracy Barnes on 01752 202264

Apprenticeship Update

Levy paying employers – did you know you should have seen an increased transfer allowance in your account this April? This will be 25% of your annual levy funds that you declared in 2018 to 2019.

Read the new post here.

Employers who do not pay the levy or who want to invest more in Apprenticeship training that is available in their digital account, need to make a financial contribution – a ‘co-investment’ – towards the cost of training and assessment of apprentices, with government funding the remainder.

Government funding covers 95% of the maximum funding band rate for all new Apprenticeship starts. Employers will pay the remaining 5% co-investment payment direct to their training provider.

Additional Information

Apprenticeships are known to boost productivity by helping businesses to expand the skills in the organisation, and research shows that the average person completing an apprenticeship increases productivity by as much as £214 a week through increased profits, lower prices and better products.

According to the British Chambers of Commerce, businesses usually employ an apprentice to improve the skills available within their organisation. 96% of employers that take on an apprentice report benefits to their business and 72% report improved productivity as a result of employing an apprentice. Don’t delay – Employ an Apprentice today!

Young people who are applying for apprenticeships often apply for a variety of, opportunities, jobs, Training Programmes, University or the Military service. This means they may receive more than one offer. On starting this process I strongly recommend that you do not delay short-listing and interviewing candidates, to avoid disappointment.

For many Young people this will be the first experience of applying to work in the adult world, they will come with their own expectations as well as some apprehension, it is our job as employers to help transition in to employment, supporting ambition and progressing them onto higher level training where possible. If you have any concerns about a young apprentice throughout their training please contact us and we will support both you and the apprentice.

ATL Employer Handbook Guidance for Supporting Learners in the Workplace

Apprenticeship Funding: Rules and Guidance for Employers

For more information about recruiting an apprentice, visit: Devon and Cornwall Training Provider Network Website or https://www.gov.uk/take-on-an-apprentice

Register your interest about employing an apprentice at apprenticeships@achievementtraining.com or 01752 202264