2 St Andrews Cross
Vacancy Title: Learning Support Assistant Apprenticeship
Vacancy Short Description:
- To undertake the Apprenticeship framework at the relevant level.
- To contribute to the development of learners at all abilities by providing support to teaching staff both in and out of the classroom.
Your role as a Learning Support Apprentice is a fantastic opportunity to start building a career in education. The role is varied and will include but may not be limited to:
- To answer incoming telephone enquiries and as appropriate, issue course literature, provide relevant information and log messages
- To assist teaching staff in maintaining and organising classroom equipment and resource materials
- To assist teaching staff in offering a broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum to groups and / or individual learners across a range of ages and abilities
- To encourage the social, emotional and intellectual development of all learners
- To provide cover for colleagues during times of peak workload or when they are absent, including flexibility to cover lunches and break-times where continuous supervision of learners is required
- To attend appropriate training sessions and courses to facilitate learner development and care
- To assist with internal and external quality assurance and policy compliance
- To actively participate in on and off the job training, with a commitment to completing the Apprenticeship framework by the target date, along with other additional professional development as appropriate to the post
- Undertake such other duties consistent with your Apprenticeship requirements as may reasonably be required by your line manager or other directors
Specific Duties for Supporting Learners:
- To work towards supporting learners with a wide range of abilities, working both with individuals and groups
- To support tutors in collating learners’ work correctly
- To assist tutors with producing and developing teaching and learning materials and updating displays
- To help support the management of a whole class situation where relevant
- To provide feedback to tutors on learner progress and contribute to review procedures
- To contribute to the evaluation of programme study, schemes of work, resources and delivery arrangements of the department
- To work flexibly across various curriculum departments and delivery settings, as instructed by the Department Manager, in response to operational needs
Training to be provided:
You will receive specific on the job training from the employer in your work place which will provide you with a secure understanding of the knowledge and skills needed when working directly with children or young people in school environments.
Off the job training will also be provided by Achievement Training in the following areas:
- Diploma in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools
- Functional Skills in English, Maths, ICT if required
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities (ERR)
- Able to communicate easily
- Leadership skills
- Good organisational skills
- The ability to deal pleasantly and efficiently with colleagues and clients at all levels, both internal and external
- The ability to work flexibly where required
- The ability to maintain absolute confidentiality of information
- Eperience working in an educational environment
- Sound IT skills with experience of using computerized systems and office based software
- Commitment to complete the Apprenticeship framework by the target date
- Some experience in supporting other people achieve their goals would be an advantage
- Willingness to seek guidance from senior staff
- Non judgmental personality
Good general education to GCSE, or equivalent level
This apprenticeship will give candidates a fantastic foundation to enter the education sector. Employment opportunities may be offered to the successful candidate on completion of the apprenticeship as you will have built a good relationship with the team and knowledge of the role.
Progression opportunities may also include advanced and higher apprenticeships, including which can equate to:
- NVQ Level 3 equivalent – 2 A Levels
- NVQ Level 4 equivalent – Higher Education Certificate/BTEC
- NVQ Level 5 equivalent – Higher Education Diploma/Foundation Degree
Other Important Information
Health and Safety
The Health and Safety responsibilities associated with your post are as set out in the Staff Handbook and Company’s Health and Safety policy, and you are required to undertake, at the company’s expense, any training necessary or appropriate for the effective discharge of those responsibilities.
Equality and Diversity
All employees are required to work in a non-discriminatory manner, and accept responsibility for the implementation of the Company’s Equality and Divserity policy, throughout all personal contacts in the Company and within your own area of responsibility.
Safeguarding Children and Safer Recruitment in Education
Achievement Training is committed to saferguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. In addition to candidates’ ability to perform the duties of the post, selection events will also explore issues relating to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children including: motivation to work with children and young people; ability to form and maintain appropriate relationships and personal boundaries with children and young people; emotional resilience in working challenging behaviours; and attitudes to use of authority and maintaining discipline.
If this vacancy receives a large volume of applicants, the post may close early. If you’re unsure about applying or have any questions, please feel free to give the team a call for a chat 01752 202269.
From April 2018 the National Minimum wage for apprentices rises to £3.70 per hour. The Minimum Wage for Apprentices applies to time spent on the job plus time spent training. If you want any advice on your pay, you can contact the Pay and Work Rights Helpline on 0800 917 2368 or visit www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage. Otherwise, all learners come under your normal terms of employment ranging from holidays, to sick pay and disciplinary procedures.
If you’re unsure about applying or have any questions, please feel free to give the team a call for a chat on 01752 202269.
To enable easier communications, please feel free to message ATL using messenger on Facebook - Achievement Training. We can respond much faster.